The Project “Enhanced surveillance and operations research for malaria elimination in Vietnam, 2014-2018” is implemented by the National Institute for Malariology, Parasitology and Entomology (NIMPE) and the Center for Health Consultation and Community Development (CHD) www.chd.vn in collaboration with Phu Yen and Quang Tri Preventive Medicine Centres. The project is aiming to contribute to achieve the National Prevention Strategy, eliminate malaria in Vietnam 2011 – 2020 and orientation to 2030 and malaria elimination activity in South East Asia.
1. To prepare for clinical research to support malaria elimination operations
2. Develop appropriate strategies and associated targeted interventions in order to plan and execute more effective control and elimination of malaria for specific areas.
To achieve the objectives, there are three main activities:
1. Updating and optimizing the malaria surveillance system;
2. Maximizing the impact of interventions through clinical research;
3. Quality improvement of current tools for malaria elimination.
Vacancy: DATA MANAGER
A key focus of this position will be supporting data collection, storage, quality assurance, analysis, and dissemination. The Data Manager also provides some administrative and logistical support to the Epidemiologist, Field Operations Manager and Principal Investigator.
The position requires extensive experience with database management as well as an understanding of M&E concepts and theory. Candidates with experience conducting trainings will be preferred.
Quantity: One person.
Status: Six-month contract, renewable
Application due: April 28, 2016
Place of work: In Ha Noi
- Data management
- Regularly check data entered into Ona (see https://ona.io/vietnammalaria or ona.io) for quality and advise project teams on how to use data for program improvement,
- Provide technical support to solve Ona problems if any,
- Review and revise operational procedures for Ona database
- Design and revise Ona databases, as new programs are introduced and current programs evolve,
- Liaise with Ona staff contacts to solve additional needs from project
- Advise data collection and analyzing methods for each type of forms and reports.
- Review samples of data collected for quality,
- Timely communicate with project’s field manager, provincial malaria coordinators and NIMPE staff to ensure the accuracy and logic of new uploaded data.
- Regularly clean data from Ona.
- Review data collection methods of external consultants,
- Ensure programs and development access and appropriately report monitoring data.
- Support development and translate monitoring data into materials for malaria elimination initiatives.
- Analyze data, as needed per request by the Principal Investigator.
- Circulate summaries of new, relevant research
- Organize datasets from Ona safety and cases surveillance
- Add new, relevant research and notes to reference management software (Microsoft Access)
- Check quality and completeness of new entries in Master data file.
- Conduct literature reviews to inform the design of new programs or activities.
Capacity building and training
- Develop and refine Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) training materials, as needed
- Conduct data collection training for staff and data collectors, as needed
- Run Ona collecting data application during new staff orientation and to refresh the knowledge of current staffs.
- Guide other data analysts for support.
- Design surveys and other data collection tools to gather data internally
- Other tasks, as requested by the project Manager and the Principal Investigator
- Bachelor’s degree in biostatistics, economics, preferably specialized in public health, epidemiology, malaria or related field, Master’s degree a plus.
- At least two years of working experience, preferably in database management, health or sociology programs.
- Good at using SPSS, STATA, Excel, Microsoft Access.
- Excellent in statistics for health and social sciences.
- Solid understanding of the Vietnamese government’s health system.
- Good communication skills and team work.
- Ability to use smart phones.
- Good English skills is an obligatory.
- Willingness to travel (up to 25%) to field sites.
Work time: Full time.
Salary: Negotiable according to experience.
Please submit a one-page cover letter, maximum two-page CV/resume, and three references with current email addresses and telephone numbers before the closing date to firstname.lastname@example.org.